Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Reigning Cats and Dogs

I was recently invited to submit a painting for a group show entitled "Raining Cats & Dogs." Visual puns are cheap and immature and that's why I like puns!

I called this painting "Reigning Cats in Dogs." My original idea was to submit a "heavy on the collage" visual statement.
Afterwards, I felt the painting needed… well, painting!

Color was added only as a translucent - so as not to lose the image underneath. I prefer the texture of added collage paper and make no attempt to hide the fact that I'm working with torn pieces of paper. It reveals the hand-built quality of making this collage form of art.
For me, collage is another form of telling a story!

"Raining Cats & Dogs" is on exhibit at the Studios on the Park in Paso Robles, California, March 18-April 11, 2010. Studios Atrium.

4 comments:

JoyfulArt said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun with this one.

Jolene said...

LOVE this one, of course I like all of your work. What do you use to letter? Stencil or stamps?

Sharmon Davidson said...

I love this piece! I'm kind of an animal fanatic, and this captures their lovable nature. I also like the title- very punny!

Melody Cleary said...

How cute is that?! Love it, Bob.